This has been my favorite go to pasta meal for a couple of months now. It’s so good; low carb, high protein and you can add in some ground beef or a meat of your choice to mix in. The Greek Yogurt sounds weird but trust me, it tastes like a spicy vodka sauce…so good!
1 medium spaghetti squash (2 to 3 pounds)
- Preheat the oven to 400°F: Preheat the oven while you prep the squash.
- Slice the squash in half: Use a chef’s knife to cut the spaghetti squash lengthwise from stem to tail. Spaghetti squash are really tough and hard, so be cautious and work slowly I actually have an electrical knife which helps but it is still difficult to cut.
- Scoop out the seeds: Use a soup spoon to scrape out the seeds and stringy bits of flesh from inside the squash.
- Place the squash in a roasting pan: Place the squash halves cut-side down in a roasting pan.
- Cook the squash for 30 to 45 minutes: Transfer the squash to the oven and cook for 30 to 45 minutes. Smaller squash will cook more quickly than larger squash. Check the squash after 30 minutes to gauge cooking.
- While the Squash is cooking: make your pasta sauce (see recipe below).
- The squash is done when tender: The squash is ready when you can easily pierce a fork through the flesh all the way to the peel. The flesh will also separate easily into spaghetti-like strands. You can also taste it right now — if the noodles are still a bit crunchy for your taste, put the squash back in the oven for another 15 to 20 minutes.
- Scrape out the squash: Use a fork to gently pull the squash flesh from the peel and to separate the flesh into strands. The strands wrap around the squash horizontally — rake your fork in the same direction as the strands to make the longest “noodles.”
- Serve the squash: Serve the squash immediately, tossed with a little butter or olive oil. Spaghetti squash will also keep refrigerated for up to a week, or frozen for up to 3 months.
Greek- Yogurt Pasta Sauce
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 yellow onion, diced
1-2 tablespoons red pepper flakes (2 tbsp if you love spice!)
1 28-ounce can high-quality crushed tomatoes
1 cup plain Greek yogurt
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, for garnish
Fresh basil, for garnish
- Heat olive oil over medium-high heat for 2 minutes. Add garlic and onion, and cook for 4 to 5 minutes. Add red pepper flakes, and cook for an additional minute.
- Add crushed tomatoes, and bring to a boil. Cover, and turn heat down to simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Add the cooked pasta to the sauce, add the Greek yogurt, and mix well, until all is combined.
- Plate your pasta, and garnish with 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, and basil.