Baked Chicken, Cauliflower and Guacamole, Oh My! Here is a simple and healthy recipe that you will enjoy. The ingredients are similar to all the items on the menu so you won’t spend money on bizarre seasonings or ingredients that you will you will never use.
Guacamole is high in fiber and unsaturated fats and your heart and GI tract will thank you. It is also high in Vitamin E which helps reduce free radicals (the particles that can increase risk of illness and cancer).
I use a ton of garlic in my cooking. Garlic is delicious and has many health benefits such as helping with detoxification. Who wouldn’t benefit from a little detoxification after the weekend?
Chicken is an affordable, a staple protein that you can cook in large quantities, which makes it ideal for a week’s worth of meal prepping. Meal prepping is an important step to keep you on track. It is time-consuming so plan accordingly; you may resist doing it but once your week starts and things are hectic you will be so glad you did it.
4 medium avocados
¼ cup fresh cilantro finely chopped
2 fresh green onions finely chopped
1 tablespoon fresh garlic, finely chopped
1-teaspoon kosher salt
1-teaspoon black pepper
1-teaspoon cayenne pepper
Juice of 1 medium sized lime
- Core and peel avocados and place in large mixing bowl.
- Add cilantro, green onions, garlic, salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, and lime to the avocados.
- Mix ingredients until avocados are well blended.
- Cover and place in fridge to chill until ready to serve.
- Stir before serving. You can also add some extra lime to really make the flavor pop.
6 large chicken breast
1-teaspoon kosher salt (per every two chicken breast)
1-teaspoon black pepper (per every two chicken breast)
1-teaspoon cayenne pepper (per every two chicken breast)
2-tablespoon olive oil (per every two chicken breast)
- Add olive oil to large pan on stove at medium heat. Place two chicken breasts in pan at a time. Add salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper. Seasoning amount can be adjusted to individual taste.
- Brown chicken breast on each side.
- Place browned chicken breast in a large glass, baking dish and place in oven on 350 degrees for 30-45 minutes. Cooking the chicken for longer will make it more tender as long as you keep it from drying out. You can add water to keep it from getting dried out or do like I do and add the extra oil and juice from the pan. This is where all the delicious flavor will come from.
2 heads of cauliflower
1 clove fresh chopped garlic
2 fresh chopped green onions
Salt and pepper to taste
- Break off cauliflower florets and add to large pot. Boil on high for 15 minutes or until cauliflower is tender.
- Use strainer to drain excess water. This step is extremely important. Do not attempt to hold the heavy pot over the sink and drain it with the lid on. I made this mistake and I burned the shit out of my leg! Seriously. I’m talking second-degree burns and blisters all down my leg. Safety first, children!
- Mash with potato masher until cauliflower has a smooth texture.
Tomato and Garlic Topping
1 clove fresh chopped garlic
2 fresh chopped green onions.
¼-cup fresh chopped cilantro
1-cup fresh chopped tomato
2-tablespoon olive oil
This part is optional. The topping adds an extra boost of flavor and the tomatoes add a wonderful pop of color. If you are cooking for guests then don’t skip this step! They will be blown away by the detail in your preparation so make them jealous!
- Add olive oil to medium saucepan and heat over medium heat for 1-2 minutes.
- Add garlic and onion to warm olive oil.
- Sautee onions and garlic for 1-2 minutes or until softened. Do not over cook.
- Add the tomato and cilantro.
- Continue to Sautee for 1 minute.
- Spoon over top of chicken breast.